Peanut Butter/Phantom Blade Guide

Discuss heroes, skills, item setups, and even make a guide!
Jackhammer4000
Kobolt Lord

Peanut Butter/Phantom Blade Guide

Post by Jackhammer4000 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:56 pm

Greetings Everyone, This my guide on how to give yourself carpal tunnel featuring Peanut Butte- I mean "The Phantom Blade". (Updated to 0.29f)
Order of Operations:
I: Introduction
II: Character Basis and Skills
III: Itemization
IV: Tips and Tricks to Bosses and recognizing your "Damage Window" for each.
V: Issues and Complications of the Phantom Blade
VI: Summary of Thoughts on the Phantom Blade
VII: Archives
I: Introduction
Show
Before we begin, I want to make it clear, that I am writing from the perspective that I experienced this class as and literally/almost everything I've learned and did analysis on will be apart of this guide. Your own experience may differ and I hope it does so we can share those experiences as Phantom Blade players. Before you begin to really get into it, I want to thank you ahead of time for reading my guide and hope everything i've learned helps and leads you to have an enjoyable experience that is properly well-informed.

This guide will help you start out as a beginner Phantom Blade if you wish to start your experience as such, but I will make some things clear before I go ahead and get into detail. The Phantom Blade is an agility based hero that requires an extreme level of patience and awareness to positioning around everything that happens during an encounter. This is not a class I'd personally recommend to a beginner just starting TWRPG, but that doesn't mean starting from it is a bad idea from a learning standpoint, yet I would encourage playing it if you have some experience with other RPG maps and know your way around as it is one of the most engaging classes in my opinion; there is never a moment where your doing nothing. It can do good damage if given the chance and the proper driver of the class which this guide will help you get the licence for. Before we get into the class however, there are a few questions you need to ask yourself before you truly pick up the Phantom Blade so I put together this Q and A in which I answer my own questions I’d ask you to paint a picture of what it likes being a Phantom Blade.

Q: Is Phantom Blade good for a Team?
A: As of the most recent update, it's damage is equal to other classes out now considering it's a pure dps class, It still doesn't have team presence so you don't affect a team all that much, but I think as long and things stay the way they are I think it's presence in team from the damage it's doing now makes it viable to a part of one without any complaints from said team.
Q: Are mats wasted on you?
A: Phantom Blade I feel right now is in a developmental state for the better, I think mats compared to before are now worth you rolling on in equal fairness to other damage classes.
Q: Do you like giving yourself carpal tunnel?
A: Yes, but no (Help me). Seriously though, you really need to be careful playing this class for a long time for this one reason. Most people use a script I've heard, but I don't personally as I consider it cheating and an unfair advantage.
Q: Do you like being called what is considered a meme class?
A: I don't think you can call Phantom Blade a meme class anymore and I hope it never returns to a state where that level of lowkey bullying is present. I was recently able to load Phantom Blade during Death Fiend runs and it actually didn't do miserable so I think this whole "PB meme class" is finally dead after like months of it being considered one and I hope it stays like that, because no class deserved that level of poor treatment.
Q: Is Phantom blade a fun class to play?
A: This 100% my favourite class and it's fun meter breaks the ozone layer for me so, I'd say yes. The only it lacks at this point in time is team presence, but after do some testing for almost a whole day (Rip my arm), I don't think having a team presence ability is major issue anymore as long Phantom Blade is kept in the mind-set that it's "Meant to be" a pure dps class (I think that's what it's supposed to be any way so, I could be wrong).
Q: How good is Phantom Blade at the only thing it can do? (Being Dps of course)
A: Phantom Blade's damage is finally good after months and months of being mediocre and I recently learned how bad it really was compared with before after doing some recent testing and it really did need the changes that came along with 0.29c badly. Phantom Blade in my opinion is a viable pick now and can live up to end-game/very end-game standards now without being bullied out of it anymore.

If you come up with any questions, post a comment and I’ll add and answer it in this Q and A format.

With the understanding that you will be planning your hand’s funeral out of the way. Let us begin our deep dive into the wonderful world of Gensoky- I mean The World’s Youmu Konpaku “The Phantom Blade”. In all seriousness, you need to highly consider if you truly enjoy the Phantom Blade and have the patience enough to deal with doing basically nothing until end game and contributing nothing team wise and be humble for the fact that you are most likely being carried by your team until you manage to get your core end-game items where you really start to contribute to the team damage wise. The consistency of Phantom Blade's damage during encounters remains the same after recent changes, but I need to test more on end-game/very end-game to see how well it keeps up comparable to before, things might still be inconsistent, I need a little more time to confirm however; i'll keep this updated. I will touch on the bosses later in the guide and why this is the reality for the Phantom Blade. I don't think you shouldn't play this class if you truly enjoy it and I hope this guide helps you learn it better, recent changes made playing Phantom Blade way more smoother and player friendly and I can safely vouch that picking this class is a good choice now. With that out of the way, let us start off by talking about skills.
II: Character Basis and Skills
Show
The Phantom Blade has a lot of interesting features and a skill set that requires some level of coordination between abilities for maximum output especially when items get involved like Wings of Slayer and Oceanus, The Sword of Light. I will tackle each ability one at a time and explain the important things to know about them and some things you may not catch immediately during your experience with the Phantom Blade. As mentioned before it is very position based and requires a decent understanding of timing for different encounters and knowing when you use certain abilities, let us learn of these abilities starting out with your special auto-attack.
    (A) Slash (Auto-Attack, Directional, Resource Management)
    Ingame Gif
    Show
    Description
    Show
    Writers Notes
    Show
    This is the replacement for the class's auto-attack and what makes Phantom Blade special. Firstly, it ignores armor which is great and can be cast 3 times before it has a small cool down of around 1-2 seconds depending on your attack speed bonus. The trade off for this however is that it only deals 50% damage to boss units, but that's the give and take for ignoring armor so effectively it's the same as any other auto-attack in my opinion. The difference about this auto-attack versus every other "melee" class is that it has a range of 500 and you attack in the direction your facing as you can see in the Gif. This is where positioning matters a lot because the moment your under an aoe, the boss moves, etc. you need to move as well and realign yourself. You will be doing this constantly especially during mid-late game and whenever a Soul Weaver, Knight, Arcane Mage, Crusader, Priest, and Wind Mage is in the game (I think that's the classes with unit movement abilities). Pathing can be an issue if there are other melee or if a unit is in your way causing you to be aiming left or right of the boss most of the time. I recommend NOT right clicking the boss to align yourself unless you have no other units in your way otherwise try to click 200-500 range before the boss to avoid this issue as much as you can; you will run into this problem a lot regardless. Landing all 3 of your auto-attacks in a row will regenerate 1 soul and this is one of your main methods to regenerate soul. Lastly, this technically makes you count as a unit with no auto-attack so you are last on the threat pool and don't have to worry about thing like Zombie Lord's "Feed my Hunger" if there are others around as he will completely ignore you, on the other hand the moment someone comes in range of a unit auto-attacking you, you will lose aggro and most likely have to reposition yourself again.

(D) Soul (Passive, Resource Management)
    Description
    Show
    Writers Notes
    Show
    This is your passive as a Phantom Blade and basically the Mana/HP regeneration of the class (In-game description is wrong, you can actually hold up to 8 souls). There are multiple ways to regenerate soul being landing all 3 of your auto-attacks in a row, a successful block with your (R), passively regenerating 1 soul every 2 seconds, and/or completely removing the cost of soul for abilities using your (T). Soul management can be difficult to understand at the start of your experience playing Phantom Blade, but it's actually very simple. You only really want to stack souls whenever you need health regeneration which in most cases you will only need to do if your playing solo or on a team with no healing supports. You usually don't want to keep souls past 4 while dealing damage, but that's not something you'll ever really worry about because you will be spending souls faster then they can regenerate most of the time and especially if you have poor resource management. (D) has been updated recently to allow you to turn yourself on the spot allowing to position way easier once you think you are within the proper range to start doing damage. Pick the safest spot you can see, use (D) to turn accordingly, and proceed to hack and slash away.
    (Q) Crescent (Aoe)
    Ingame Gif
    Show
    Description
    Show
    Writers Notes
    Show
    This is your first ability as a Phantom Blade and comes with it a great power, a great bane, and the cost of 1 soul. The range of the ability is similar if not the same as your auto-attack range just in a radius around you of 500 (Can't confirm, might be more). This ability will allow you to kite while you are soloing your way to mid-tier bosses coming with a very heavy 90% slow that lasts for 3 seconds. This ability's cooldown is faster than the duration of the slow so you can always keep this slow on a unit if you wish. Best example is using this off cool down on Zombie Lord causing him to have 0% movement speed during his feeding period making it very easy for your team to just run away without worries. This ability can be hard to master for solo kiting on a boss like Flame Nightmare which is already an extremely hard and timely solo for Phantom Blade, but possible if executed correctly. You MUST be very careful using this whenever there is a lot of units around you as this ability will pull non-boss units towards you. I have surrounded myself many times with Zombie Lord's zombie horde only to be unable to move out of "Star", so try to reposition yourself if you begin to get surrounded during an encounter (ZL might be the only fight to watch out for this).
    (W) Daze (Line Cast, Directional)
    Ingame Gif
    Show
    Description
    Show
    Writers Notes
    Show
    Phantom Blade's second ability, a very simple ability at that costing 2 souls. Just like your auto-attack, you strike in a line with a range of about 700-800? Can't really confirm, just a very decent range for poking though. The neat thing about this ability is that it will always critically strike on boss units so that's a bonus. Still deciding whether it is better to save souls for this or Q spam for Wings of Slayer and Oceanus, the Sword of Light procs faster, it can be difficult to get 2 souls as crazy as that sounds for spamming this, but the next ability is the culprit for where this difficulty comes from and where you will begin to learn how to (W) as much as possible.
    (E) Alacrity (Toggle Ability)
    Ingame Gif
    Show
    Description
    Show
    Writers Notes
    Show
    This is where Phantom Blade can get complicated and where soul management really comes into play. While toggled, you have a 40% chance an your (A) (Q) and (W) to deal AGIx50 bonus damage, except every time it procs it also costs 1 soul. It also requires 1 soul to activate, but it doesn't cost that soul. You want to keep (E) toggled during your (T) for maximum output. While your (T) is on cool down, the best way to handle (E) is allow yourself to reach 3-4 souls while still spamming out (A) (Q) before re-toggling it again that way you can use your (Q) and (W) and give them the chance to proc bonus damage. Good rule of thumb is to toggle your (E) off while your (W) is on cool down, then re-toggle it on again when you reach 3-4 souls when (W) is off cool down. The better you can time your soul regeneration with your (W) cool down, the more procs you should get and the more (W)'s you will pull off.
    (R) Harmony (Defensive, Cleanse, Resource Management)
    Ingame Gif
    Show
    Description
    Show
    Writers Notes
    Show
    This is Phantom Blades 4th skill and an appropriately named at that considering you will need the inner harmony of Buddhist Monks to not panic using this ability. Jokes aside, this is Phantom Blade's way of keeping its head on its shoulders. You have a single second to predict an attack/skill and reduce it's damage by 70%, allowing for 4 souls to be regenerated, cleansing yourself, and resetting the cool down of your (Q) and (W). You will know if you successfully did an (R) if you hear a parry sound and see "BLOCK (#####)". You need to master the timing of this ability if you want to survive most encounters and possibly get some free damage. In the Gif, you can see I used (R) as Bone Dragon's claw was about to land allowing me to survive it; that is one example of a place and time to use your (R). I will mention when and where/where not to (R) during encounters in the bosses section. The most important thing to keep in mind with (R) is that it is a SURVIVAL tool, don't try for heroics for the souls or the (Q) and (W) reset if it means putting you in a bad position or causing you to move. You usually want to (R) at your current location if possible to not ruin your dps.
    (T) Release (Active for 9 Seconds, Carpel Tunnel)
    Ingame Gif
    Show
    Description
    Show
    Writers Notes
    Show
    Oh boy, this is where the fun of Phantom Blade really begins and where you'll wish you did NNN for the whole year. This is Phantom Blade's 5th ability and probably the most important one as you need to know when to use it on specific encounters which I will touch upon in the bosses section. DO NOT click (T) until you are properly positioned and think you won't have to move while your (T) is active. The only times you want to (T) or move during it when it's not for your damage window is when you need to move out of something very fast like Samael's Vanish. While in (T) your job is to just spam (A) (Q) and (W) more than those suspicious people spam your junk mail inbox until those 9 seconds are over. Your (Q) and (W) also will have a reduced cool down allowing you to spam even more while you are within your (T) and your (A) auto-attack has no cooldown. You will gain the ability to dash while within your (T) which can help reposition you in case you do have to move, but sadly each second wasted of (T) is very detrimental to your damage as a Phantom Blade. You must spam click to enable the dash as you can see in the Gif, simply right-clicking will just make you walk as you normally do. Another important thing to note that's not in the tool-tip is whenever your (T) ends you will have 0 souls and will need to immediately begin your soul resource management with (E) again.
    (F) Obliterate (Big Damage, Crowd Control, Directional)
    Ingame Gif
    Show
    Description
    Show
    Writers Notes
    Show
    Ok, this is probably the best part of Phantom Blade and the most useful and coolest ultimate in the game, but holy moly it's like trying to stick your finger through a Cheerio without it breaking sometimes in order to hit this ultimate for it's cost of 4 souls. The first thing that should be mentioned is that you will travel where you are facing using this ultimate so position is key once again, HOWEVER, there is a minimum range to this ultimate so you WILL miss if you are in melee range. You need to keep this mind when you are positioning for any encounter. It best to stay in between 200-500 range from a unit in order to hit this ultimate with success. You must also keep mind that it has a cast time of around 1-2 seconds before you will travel in a line so make sure the unit you are trying to strike isn't going to move anytime soon; (Q) really helps with this if it affects them. This ultimate comes with very neat and extremely useful features like dealing 40% bonus MAGIC damage based on the target's missing health and the most important thing; freezing a target for around 2.5 seconds and stunning them for the same amount afterwards. There are a few instances where you want to save your ultimate for a specific moment during an encounter for the freeze alone which I will touch upon in the bosses section. You usually want to use your ultimate whenever a unit is around 30% or below of their health depending on how strong the unit and how much other dps classes are dealing damage and it's best to use your ultimate at the final second of your (T) if possible for the 0 soul cost. You'll pickup on the timings of this when you are playing with your team if you manage to get one. Another neat point is that you disappear for around 1-2 seconds allowing you to dodge some insta-kill abilities which I will point out in the bosses section. Soul Weaver, Knight, Arcane Mage, Crusader, Priest, and Wind Mage can troll you and cause you to miss so you need to watch out for that to. Lastly, during solo play the unit you want to ult will reset back to it's spawn/original location because you will lose threat. You need to aim where they are going to run back to and not where they currently are. You will pick up on this the more you get used to the ultimate during solo play.
    III: Itemization
    Show
    Phantom Blade is entirely based on agility gear that gives it attack damage or is based on skill/attack procs. Without a doubt in my mind, Phantom Blade is based on 3 items right now being Wings of Slayer, Oceanus, The Sword of Light, and Ring of Time/Ring of Fate. DO NOT upgrade into Atricia, I will get into details as to why when I talk about the item in extreme detail this time around. You won't be doing to much without these items, making Phantom Blade extremely item dependent. The reason I mention this first is that you want to rush these 3 items as fast possible, but before that we need to talk about how to get there from ground zero, so let us begin the adventure from Minors to VERY End-game Itemization and talk about why each of these items is a good choice for Phantom Blade. The use/build paths will go from right to left e.g Vest of protection into Guardian Vest into Vest of Cyclone and so on. Recipes are included.
    Minor to Mid gear
    Show
    Chest Piece (Vest of Cyclone) With Use/Build Path
    Show
    Image ImageImage

Vest of Protection isn't crazy, but it isn't bad either, should the be the first chest piece your really aiming for due to how much Agility it gives over other minors tier level armor. It's very easy to upgrade as well into Guardian Vest.

Guardian Vest is a good chest piece that will last you until you get the far superior Vest of Cyclone. It gives a great amount of agility, magic defense, and it's passive can keep you alive a lot longer than Vest of Protection adding an extra 2000 damage to the shield it gives.

Vest of Cyclone is the best choice for the Phantom Blade from Minor and Mid level bosses giving a very decent amount of agility, good amount of skill damage, and some much appreciated magic defense. The absolutely best thing about this armor and why it's so good for Phantom blade is it's active of giving you extra damage on your next 3 attacks after using a skill (x50% of attack damage) and an extremely useful movement speed boost to help you with re-positioning or escaping an aoe/insta-kill effect. Using your (Q) (W) or (R) to proc this for the movement speed is perfect for when you need it.
    Wings (Wings of Fury) With Use/Build Path
    Show
    ImageImage

Cape of the Count is just generally a good pair of starter wings for any agility/strength spamming class giving an amazing early game proc and a way for you to sustain yourself which is very much needed.

Wings of Fury is the version before Wings of Slayer making it one of the items you want to rush during Minor and Mid bosses as fast as possible. Giving a fair amount of agility and some skill damage is great, however the proc effect of these wings are an absolute must for the Phantom Blade and reason to stare at them in amazement. The pure damage and the sustain from these wings allows you to accomplish far more than you could normally solo and with a small team; get these as soon as you can. Best ways to get as much procs as possible is to spam your (Q) whenever it's off cool down. A very important thing to note about these wings is that they complicate the class even further in the same manner as Oceanus, The Sword of Light will, I will mention why at the end of the itemization section and how to handle it properly.
    Ring (Ring of Intrusion) With Use/Build Path
    Show
    ImageImageImage

Ring of Resonance is one of the first minor level drops that you want to rush simply because it allows you to reset your (T) giving you an extra 8 seconds of self-inflicted hand/wrist destruction for more dps. It resets the last ability used so remember to use it immediately after using your (T) otherwise you won't get the reset. This is another item that requires a certain understanding of knowing when to use it in order to maximize its potential from Ring of Resonance all the way to Ring of Fate which I will explain in the bosses section about damage windows.

Ring of the Sage is simply an upgrade to Ring of Resonance giving more all stats and skill damage however it increases the reset cool down by 15 seconds making it kinda meh, but that's not much of a problem considering you'll only ever reset once a fight anyway most of the time.

Ring of Intrusion is the upgrade of Ring of the Sage giving even more all stats, skill damage, and reducing the reset cool down to 105 seconds which is a nice bonus. This will be the ring you have a quite a while until you get its upgraded version that is pretty expensive mat wise.
    Weapon (Asmodeus, The Archdevil's Greatsword) With Use/Build Paths
    Show
    You actually have 2 options here for a build path making acquiring this weapon very easy which is honestly really great, however you should go for build path 1 because you can't actually use build path 2, but if you manage to get build path 2 mats first, that's entirely fine to.
    Use/Build Path 1 (Unholy)
    Show
    ImageImageImage
    Exilmelia, the Unholy Sword will probably be your first minors level weapon and best considering it's upgraded form unless you want to bother getting Laksha, The Ancient Sword of Poison since it's super easy to do so. You'll probably replace Laksha, The Ancient Sword of Poison with Exilmelia, the Unholy Sword, but you should keep Laksha, The Ancient Sword of Poison because you need to upgrade it as well into its final form. Wouldn't recommend using Laksha, The Ancient Sword of Poison upgraded form over Asmodeus, The Archdevil's Greatsword. Back to Exilmelia, the Unholy Sword though, it has alright damage and a nice proc for when your spamming out auto-attacks; a decent overall minors tier weapon.

Exilmelia, The True Unholy Sword is the way better version of the prior increasing it's overall damage and agility stats, but adds 3.5% skill damage into the mix which is very nice to have. Not much else to be said other then it's a solid weapon until you upgrade it.

Asmodeus, The Archdevil's Greatsword is a big jump for a weapon upgrade and is probably going to last you until you get your hands on a Death Scythe or Oceanus, The Sword of Light. This weapon increases the base damage that, Exilmelia, The True Unholy Sword and Karonphniamm, The True Holy Sword, had by a large amount and gives you even more agility and skill damage with an added 1300 strength into the mix for some much needed health and now your strength stat is giving you even more than what it normal does since Asmodues's proc is based your agility AND strength with an increased proc rate of 4.9% dealing x15 of both stats instead of x12 of one of them. Overall, it's a very nice place holder. (Same information in Build path 2)
    Build Path 2 (Holy)
    Show
    ImageImageImage

There is not much to be said on the holy variant of building into Asmodeus, The Archdevil's Greatsword as you can't even use either sword, only really take this route if your getting the holy variant mats first over the unholy variant.

Asmodeus, The Archdevil's Greatsword is a big jump for a weapon upgrade and is probably going to last you until you get your hands on a Death Scythe or Oceanus, The Sword of Light. This weapon increases the base damage that Exilmelia, The True Unholy Sword and Karonphniamm, The True Holy Sword had by a large amount and gives you even more agility and skill damage with an added 1300 strength into the mix for some much needed health and now your strength stat is giving you even more than what it normal does since Asmodeus's proc is based on your agility AND strength with an increased proc rate of 4.9% dealing x15 of both stats instead of x12 of one of them. Overall, it's a very nice place holder.
    (Same information in Build path 1)
    Helms (Grim Visage, Helm of Battle, Archangel Halo) With Use/Build Path
    Show
    You have 3 options for helms that are all viable at the minor to mid level, but I highly recommend actually using option 1 over 2 and 3, i'll explain where each of these helms has a place for use starting with Grim Visage.
    Grim Visage Build Path
    Show
    ImageImageImageImageImage

Extra information: Grim visage is probably the best of the 3 options for helm's to wear at the minor/mid level section, however it is also the most material demanding and Ghostly Thread and Mad Symbol can be kind of annoying to get on your own at this level of the game. It is still worth going for though as it boasts the most damage of the 3 options for Phantom Blade and does come with a risky yet fun way for some survivability.

If you have Jack Pumpkin Helm and a pickaxe you already know what to do, enough said.

Jack Pumpkin Helm +1 will probably be the helmet you use until you either get a Ghostly Thread or Skeris, the Unholy Helm. It's nothing crazy except the 15% dodge chance is very nice and personally something I'd like to see on more Tank items in the late game.

Skeris, the Unholy Helm is what you will be using until you get Death Visage unless you already managed to get Death Visage in which you can just skip using this helm and keep it for Grim Visage. Use it however if you don't have Death Visage.

Death Visage is the youngling version of Grim Visage and where it introduces you to it's neat active it has. It gives 1500 Hit Points and 4.5% Skill Damage and Crit Chance which honestly is super good for it's level. As you can see from the active, it is best used while you are below 40% health for a very good damage buff and recover but don't go out of your way in order to get it's full effectiveness, that might get you killed. 500 Agility is perfectly fine as well if it means it will keep you alive, but if do find yourself where you can risk it a little without compromising your position then save it for when your under 40%. It will take some time to learn when/how to use this successfully. My personal rule of thumb is use it immediately or during your damage window while your (T) is up to get maximum damage, but if you know a fight is going to have an unavoidable aoe that will take you below 40% save it until then. The Crit multiplier can add some extra damage to those guaranteed (W) critical strikes.

Grim Visage is just the better version of Death Visage with more stats, but keeping the same active so the same rules apply. You will need to make 2 of these if you want to build into Dragon Mask and Eye of Wallachia.
    Helm of Battle Build Path
    Show
    ImageImageImage

All I can is for the love of god don't use the first 2 helmets unless it's literally the only thing you managed to get. Your better off using something with even 1 agility over either of the Dragon's Helm Agrons. Use something that gives agility like Glaicer Guard. Hold onto this/these helms for Helm of Battle only.

Helm of Battle is probably the most solid helmet there is in the entire game since any class can use it and it has a very nice stat line up for literally anyone. For Phantom Blade's case however, the only reason you'd want to use this helmet over something like Death/Grim Visage is because has an Anti-Magic-Shell on a 4 minute cooldown that can really save your hinny during an encounter where you would feel safer having such. I'd personally recommend trying to work with Grim Visage, but if you'd rather a safer style of gameplay just use Helm of Battle. Plus the extra Hit Point regeneration and Movement Speed you'll give your allies is a nice little bonus. You will actually need 2 of these helmets for 2 of the end-game crafts so keep that mind when your farming minor level bosses. Just one is ok to farm though if you want to get the other one later since you can completely skip getting it if you want to skip crafting Dragon Mask.
    Archangel Halo Build Path
    Show
    ImageImage

Just like Dragon's Helm Agron, for the love of your own sanity don't use this helmet unless it's the only thing you managed to get somehow. Use something that gives agility like Glaicer Guard. Hold onto this helm for Archangel Halo only.

Archangel Halo is probably the worst option out of the 3 and accomplishes the same job of Helm of Battle, but it has a 3 minute Anti-Magic-Shell cooldown instead of 4 minutes at the cost of some agility for more strength. I don't think that's enough to beat Helm of Battle when it comes what you should use for an Anti-Magic-Shell though. You should still make this however for it's end-game version however which is very good for Phantom Blade, but not the best for it. We will discuss this more in the end-game section.
    End-Game Gear
    Show
    Whenever you start reaching end-game with Phantom Blade is when you'll really notice that you'll start to do something (Many will debate whether this is true) and contribute what little you can to a boss encounter in this stage of the game past just dpsing. As I mentioned before, you MUST rush Oceanus, The Sword of Light to start doing anything at all at endgame level then Wings of Slayer and Ring of Time. These 3 items are what I would say puts Phantom Blade even close on a map near the other classes for dps and can confidently say the class is impossible to contend without them at endgame versus other popular dps classes. Let us the discuss the importance of Phantom Blade's main build and why it has to stay that way for each individual item except for helm and chest where you have some wiggle room, but still have a BIS option for the class. Recipes are Included.
    Chest Piece (Vest of Storm) and (Grandine, The Plates of Wraith)
    Show
    As Phantom Blade you have 2 options that you both want, specifically one being for dps (Vest of Storm) and one for survivability (Grandine, The Plates of Wraith).
    Vest of Storm (Option 1)
    Show
    Vest of Storm is the upgrade of Vest of Cyclone giving it a larger stat pool and increasing the agility you get from its proc by 150; effectively it still works the same as Vest of Cyclone. This is the armor you want to use at all times if you can afford it and you feel safe enough to push more damage during an encounter. If you think you need more survivability in order to keep yourself alive use Grandine, the Plates of Wraith instead. I do recommend trying to learn an encounter with Vest of Storm though that way you pickup on when and where you can deal damage better during an encounter and increase your awareness to mechanics during an encounter since they are so important for the Phantom Blade to know because of how it deals damage.
    Grandine, The Plates of Wraith (Option 2)
    Show
    This is the option for survivability allowing you to cheat some insta-kill mechanics (So i've heard) and generally keep you alive with it's proc on a very good 60 second cooldown and has a nice stat lineup mirroring Grim Visage. I'd personally only use this on fights like Death Fiend/Valtora/Ifrit, but if I could, I would use Vest of Storm when I'd get used to doing those fights on Phantom Blade if ever given the chance to even join in on those encounters. Overall, use this when learning a fight or you don't trust your ability to stay alive during it. Ease back to Vest of Storm if you can so you don't get used to relying on a safety net.
    Wings (Wings of Slayer)
    Show
    This is one of the 3 items you want to rush as fast as possible, yet is very expensive to obtain compared to something like Vest of Storm. Wings of Slayer are the upgraded version of Wings of Fury and with them come a massive increase to it's proc, the ability generate "Slayer's Fury", and a nice increase to it's stat lineup. This is one of items that will give the Phantom Blade a massive power spike do to the undeniable sinergy it has with class to the point where I'd say Phantom Blade is the best class to have these wings on. Like I explained for Wings of Fury, these wings complicate the class a little more if you want to maximise your output which I will explain at the end of the Itemization section.
    Ring (Ring of Time)
    Show
    Ring of Time is the upgrade to Ring of Intrusion and is another one of the 3 major items you want to rush as fast as possible due to its increase in stats, but more importantly, it's reset cooldown is now only 90 seconds which is huge and might allow for multiple (T) resets during a single encounter depending on your team's other/total DPS. The same rules apply coming from its predecessors in needing to know when you use it, but with 90 seconds, timing can vary depending on how fast a boss is dying. I will explain when and where it is best to use Ring of Time or what I have dubbed is your "Damage Window" in the bosses section.
    Weapon (Oceanus, The Sword of Light)
    Show
    I cannot stress enough how fast you want to get your hands on this beautiful stick of gnosis level glowing light. I can safely say that this sword makes Phantom Blade a class even and honestly only exists because she brought it from the real world in order to survive in "The World". This is undoubtedly a sword made for Phantom Blade and may as well be the name of the katana she's holding; it's that important. I repeat as I said before, DO NOT upgrade this weapon.

0.29a info: Only Atricia is better because it's Oceanus's upgraded form, but Atricia is called "The Sword of Dreams" for a reason. (This was actually very wrong and I said this before I tested the weapon and just looked it's stats and based it's damage from that alone and oh boy was I wrong. We'll talk about Atricia in depth in the next section)

Seriously though, the damage and stats on this weapon is amazing and perfect for Phantom Blade, but where it really makes the class shine is the proc it has. Phantom Blade has the ability to proc this sword probably the most next to Swordsman. You get such a massive power spike from the proc alone and you will notice immediately a huge increase on the Power Recorder allowing you to rival some other classes now. The active is also extremely good because it is multiple stuns over a period of time based on your stacks, but more importantly, it is a point and click and honestly one of the best methods to align yourself properly with a unit/boss again if you need to reposition. I almost wish Phantom Blade had this ability to do so as baseline because of how much easier it is to play the class using this effect (It actually does now, which is a huge improvement). Everytime I properly get to freely align myself over right-clicking a unit/boss with Oceanus, The Sword of Light a tear escapes my eye as I see the beauty of not aiming left and right whenever the unit/boss you use it on is surrounded by melee or others in your way (This is baseline now with new (D), :pogey:). One thing you need to keep in mind is that it will bring you into melee range so if you plan to (F) after using the active you may miss. Most of the time however it just barely puts you at minimum ult range so your really crossing your fingers no one moves the unit/boss even a centimeter. Out of the 3 items you want to rush, this is number 1, get this thing as fast as you can if want to really start doing something as Phantom Blade.
    Helms (Eye of Wallachia, Dragon Mask, And Halo of Judgment)
    Show
    You have 3 options here for helmets just like at the minors and mids level and aftering doing some testing it would seem that Eye of Wallachia and Halo of Judgment are giving very similar results, Halo of Judgement is slightly beating Eye of Wallachia probably due it being more consistent then Eye of Wallachia. Dragon Mask is still just plain old easy to make placeholder item, that's just good to make if you can get your hands on it.
    Eye of Wallachia
    Show
    This probably your second best option now out of all these helms for dps due to recent changes and is the improved version of Grim Visage offering an increased stat lineup and the most important thing being changing the active to a proc. The Proc gives a very nice amount of bonus stats and is automatic compared to Grim Visage or Dragon Mask. A neat thing about this helm is that there is a clear indicator of when it procs as your screen will flash green for 1 second if you play with -flash on. After that flash is when you actually get the proc bonus. Timing your (T) with this proc is best, but don't go out of your way and wait for it to proc if it means missing your damage window. Remember, the more you (T) the more you can (T) during an encounter, so don't wait. You also really only need 2 end-game mats to craft it, but those 2 mats are harder to get over Dragon Mask's mats so it might take some time to craft this helm.
    Dragon Mask
    Show
    Dragon Mask is extremely similar to Eye of Wallachia except that it gives 4000 hitpoints and it's still an active like Grim Visage and that now gives hitpoint regeneration. Dragon Mask is a lot more complicated for Phantom Blade to use over Eye of Wallachia as you need to stack it as fast as possible in order to get the most of out of it. Most of the time you'd be using (T) with Ring of Time to do this during your damage window, but Dragon Mask has a cooldown of only 50 seconds so I usually stack it with (T) and Ring of Time then just use it off cooldown when it's available with (T) again naturally.

You can honestly skip this helmet if you wish, I put it here because of how easy it is to craft compared to Eye of Wallachia and it's probably the best placeholder until you do manage to get Eye of Wallachia. Once you get Eye of Wallachia, you'll probably never use this thing ever again to be honest so that's why skipping it is perfectly ok.
    Halo of Judgment
    Show
    Halo of Judgment is probably your best helmet to wear right now as of the recent changes because you don't need to stop (A)'ing anymore during your (T) to do (Q) and (W) anymore making this item way more live then it was before while giving that 90 second Anti-Magic-Shell still. It's pretty much tied with Eye of Wallachia right now as far as I can tell after testing, but the Anti-Magic-Shell is nice to have if your doing the same output between either helm so, I'd go with this as of now personally. It's getting a planned 400 upgrade in the future to so, something to look forward to.
    VERY End-Game Gear
    Show
    New items are coming out soon that the Phantom Blade can use, Ring of Fate is currently the only real item you want to make right now as Atricia is actually underperforming as an alteia class weapon literally doing the same or less damage then Oceanus while I was testing, so lets really get into why it's like this and look at Atricia seriously this time instead of as a blind amour.
    Weapon (The Ender) and/or (Atricia, The Sword of Dreams)
    Show
    There is a clear winner between the two weapon choices being "The Ender" as it just has literally the PERFECT stat line up and amazing 12 second proc effect for Phantom Blade, but leaves you with extremely low health compared to Atricia, so you need to be careful when using it.
    Atricia, The Sword of Dreams
    Show
    This thing is Oceanus, The Sword of Light, but so so much of the exact same thing. Atricia isn't really an upgrade right now because it loses the ability of it's proc being able to crit like Oceanus can and the chance for non-empowered attacks to deal extra damage which leads to its downfall as a weapon currently. Oceanus is doing the same output majority of the time where Atricia can be slightly more consistent on rare occasions. It's not worth upgrading Oceanus into this for its current material cost or in general as Atricia just loses to much of what makes Oceanus such a good and necessary weapon for Phantom Blade or any class I can imagine that would think of using it. I've tested on a Knight as well, and it gets the exact same results of 18-19m over 60 seconds between both weapons, because I thought it was just a problem for Phantom Blade but it's not. Phantom Blade was around 35-37m with either weapon, but 37m was probably due to lucky (E) procs and my arm not wanting to commit seppuku at the time, 35m was the majority average. Atricia overall seems to a be Oceanus with a different image in your inventory and very slightly more consistent dps and that's about all it really does in its current state, not really warrenting it as a upgraded form of Oceanus or upgrade in general for any other class that would consider using it over Oceanus. It really needs to carry over Oceanus in it's full form to be successful as an upgrade and I very much think this after testing between both weapons for almost 6-7 hours and selling my arm's soul to the devil of information collection to be able to confirm this problem with assurance.
    The Ender
    Show
    The Ender offers probably the best stat line up in the game for raw damage along with it's 12 second proc and ability to increase damage by 15% while a unit is lower than 50% making it the current choice weapon for Phantom Blade by an extreme amount over Atricia considering its current state. There isn't much to say on The Ender other then it's just extremely good and it's mechanics as a weapon are simple and easy to follow. BUT, The Ender maybe the best weapon for you as a Phantom Blade, but it's offset by it's drop chance from being 0.22% making it nearly a icon drop so don't really expect this anytime soon, you'll be using Oceanus for long time, either until The Ender finally drops or Atricia gets buffed/fixed.
    Ring (Ring of Fate)
    Show
    This was just recently added in with the 0.29a update of the map and is a very good upgrade of Ring of Time giving a massive boost to all stats from 960 to 1300, skill damage increase of 2%, and making the refresh ability 75 seconds instead of 90 seconds. It also regens your health to full instead of around half when you'd take fatal damage which is a nice bonus to Ring of Time's safety net effect. The most important thing I can say about this ring is that it allows you to get even more use of your (T) whenever you're running with a low man group.
    Important Information on Wings of Slayer and Oceanus
    Show
    As I was explaining earlier, these items I said complicate the class even more and I will explain why. Both these procs require that you do an (A) auto-attack after you cast any of your skills. The problem here is that Phantom Blade is so good at mindlessly spamming it's abilities you might/will waste procs especially during your (T) when your cooldowns are reduced and you have no cooldown on your (A) auto-attack. It's important to exercise harmony between your skill casts and your auto-attacks when you acquire these items otherwise you will be losing out on a lot of damage from procs which are considerably your main source of damage. Don't panic if you don't manage to do this, but try to keep in mind no matter how fast your cooldowns, try to weave in an auto-attack between abilities even during your (T) when you'll run into your (Q) and (W) being both off cooldown and you want to get them on cooldown as fast as possible. You can even use your (R) for a free proc if you know your not going to need it any time soon for more damage.
    Loot Table
    Show
    This is a list of everything you need to craft everything in the lists above with the exclusion of "VERY end-game gear" and inclusion of Laktrisha, The illusional Sword of Poison and Tunic of the Wraith. It also lists where to get each specific item or material from their respective bosses.
    Minor's Items and Materials
    Show
    Materials
    Hydra's Poisonous Tooth - 1 (Hydra)
    Count's Old Cape - 2 (Count of Wallachia)
    Count's Memento - 1 (Count of Wallachia)
    Bloodstone - 1 (Count of Wallachia) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Orichalcum - 4-5 (Jack'o Lantern) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Dragon Heart - 1 (Wings of Death)
    Dragon Scale - 1-2 (Wings of Death) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Mithril - 4-5 (Mage Lord) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Ancient Writings - 4 (Count of Wallachia, Wings of Death, or Mage Lord)
    Fragment of Angel's Feather - 1-2 (Angels) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    A Page of the Bible - 2-3 (Angels) (Depends on Asmodeus build path)
    Sealed Archangel Wings - 1 (Angels or Archangel Samael)
    Corrupt Creations - 1 (Giant Golem or Corrupt Angel)
    Fragment of Corrupt Angel's Feather - 1 (Corrupt Angel)
    A Page of the Unholy Book - 1-2 (Corrupt Angel) (Depends on Asmodeus build path)
    Adamantium - 2-3 (Frostspider Lord) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Frozen Cobweb - 1 (Frostspider Lord)
    Dark Wings - 3 (Demon Lord Beriel)
    Dark Matter - 3-4 (Demon Lord Beriel) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Ghostly Thread - 2-3 (Wallachia Mad Clown) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Mad Symbol - 1-2 (Wallachia Mad Clown) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Soul Stone - 1 (Wallachia Mad Clown)

Items
    Sword of Lethal Poison - 1 (Hydra)
    Corrupt Crystal Fragment - 1 (Giant Golem or Corrupt Angel)
    Mask of Blood 1-2 (Blood Wraith) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Ring of the Dead 1-2 (Blood Wraith or Wallachia Monstrosity) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Cape of the Dead - 2 (Blood Wraith or Wallachia Monstrosity)
    A Small Piece of Wrath 1-2 (Evil Lava Spawn) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Helm of Passion 1-2 (Evil Lava Spawn) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Jack Pumpkin Helm - 1-2 (Jack'o Lantern) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    True Dragon Helm Agron - 1-2 (Wings of Death) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Ring of Resonance - 1 (Mage Lord)
    Sacred Helm - 1 (Angels)
    Skeris, The Unholy Helm - 1-2 (Corrupt Angel) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Eximelia, The Unholy Greatsword or Karonphniamm, the Holy Sword - 1 (Angels and/or Corrupt Angel)
    Horn of Demon Lord - 1 (Demon Lord Beriel) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Vest of Protection - 2 (Mana Ancient)
    Lifestone - 1 (Mana Ancient)
    Mid's Items and Materials
    Show
    Materials
    Spirit Orb - 2-3 (Spirit Beast / Ancient Ent) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Spirit of Forest - 1 (Spirit Beast)
    Ancient Fragment of Ruins - 2 (Rectus)
    Essence of Corruption - 1 (Rectus)
    Spirit of Nightmare 2 (Flame Nightmare)
    Essence of Anger - 1 (Flame Nightmare)
    Mana Orb - 1 (Turtle Lord)
    Pure Steel - 1 (Turtle Lord)

Items
    Tunic of Subtlety - 1 (Turtle Lord)
    Avenger - 1 (Rectus)
    End-game Items and Materials
    Show
    Materials
    Spirit of Abyss - 1 (Skeleton King Desperia)
    Fragment of Oblivion - 1 (Skeleton King Desperia)
    Orb of Oblivion - 2 (Skeleton King Desperia)
    Dragon's Eye - 1 (Bone Dragon) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    Purified Water of Nature 1-2 (Ancient Ent) (Depends if your making Dragon Mask)
    God's Page - 1 (Archangel Samael)
    Essence of Light - 3 (Archangel Samael)
    Steel of God - 1 (Archangel Samael)
    Sealed Archangel Wings - 1 (Angels or Archangel Samael)
    Heart of Fire - 2 (Zombie Lord)
    Dark Crystal - 2 (Zombie Lord)
    Proof of Purification - 2 (Zombie Lord)
    Antimatter - 3 (Shadow Dragon Irbert)

Items
    Ancient Hourglass - 1 (Bone Dragon)
    Griseus, The Sword of Protection (Ancient Ent)
    Ring of the Storm - 1 (Ancient Ent)
    Shroud of Perseverance - 1 (Zombie Lord)
    Nephthys, the Engraved Ring - 1 (Shadow Dragon Irbert)
    IV: Tips and Tricks to Bosses and recognizing your "Damage Window" for each
    Show
    There are a lot of little things to know about each boss that will equip you well into your journey as a Phantom Blade and here I hope to cover every single little tip I can give you from my personal experience playing the class. If I'm missing something please tell me so I can add it to the bosses section of the guide. With that, let us begin with minor level bosses.
    Minor Level Bosses (Hydra to Demon Lord Beriel)
    Show
    My strategy all way to Demon Lord Beriel was to just do as much as I could with (T) after the boss used there Anti-Magic-Shell then run away when my health got low (around 20%) while doing as much dps as I could before running, wait for 8 souls to regen back to full health, then repeat the process over again until the boss is dead. Keep in mind you need to do the bosses mechanics like avoiding aoe and such still, but at this level that's not to much of a problem. Just reset your (T) if you have Ring of Resonance or Ring of the Sage and do as much as you can before you get low. There are some specifics to note about a few bosses that I will mention now, but other then that, just go in and go out pretty much using the aforementioned method. You can solo everything within the minors level. What I mean when I mention "Damage Window" is that is when it's the best time to use item cooldowns and specifically reset your (T), I will explain this for end-game bosses mostly.
    Demon Lord Beriel (DL)
    Show

Around 50-60% health, he will say "It's time of your Doom!", the screen will flash red if you have -flash on and this is where you want to use (F) and freeze him which will cause him to skip his insta-kill mechanic. You can see how to successfully execute this in the Gif below.
    Evil Lava Spawn (ELS)
    Show
    Evil Lava Spawn is very annoying for Phantom Blade because you need move around a lot during this fight. You always want to position yourself top right of him because when he begins launching his projectiles you need to follow them as they are being launched so you don't die then reposition yourself top right of him again. You will repeat this 3 times this fight, but you can probably skip the 3rd one if you (F) him to outright kill him, just need know how much damage your currently doing with your ultimate and you'll be fine. Just make sure you know where Evil Lava Spawn will reset his location to before you ult.
    Mad Clown (MC)
    Show
    This one fight Phantom Blade is pretty good at honestly simply because of its (Q) and the fact that it has no automatic auto-attack so you don't run into wheel if adds spawn during it. You have 2 options on where you decide to fight Mad Clown (Check the images below). Either location is fine, but you'll have to do some work for option 2 and kill some scarabs and wraiths before engaging Mad Clown and aggroing him down there. You'll need to (Q) him so he'll follow you to either location otherwise he'll just reset. At 50% he'll pull you on top of him and a red wheel around him will appear and beams will slowly grow out from him in the form of a star. Make sure your between one of the sections it forms and follow its path as it travels and avoid the summoning symbols otherwise the line with touch and insta-kill you. Spam (Q) if you are fighting him in arena 1 to kill adds and you should be fine. After wheel is over, just kill him and kite him out of his purple aoe so he doesn't heal. (R) when he teleports back to the purple aoe's location indicated by it roaring rapidly for about 2-3 seconds to avoid nearly dying or dying to the wave he sends out.
    Arena Option 1
    Show
    Arena Option 2
    Show
    Mana Ancient(MA)
    Show
    The only thing I want mention here is that when Mana Ancient reaches full mana, he will pull you in and after he expends his mana, will instantly kill you. Best way to avoid this is to let him get full mana and poke him at a distance kiting with (Q) spam until you trigger the blue mist of death. Let it expire then go nuts again while he's meleeing you. Make sure to time your (R) for his slow blast which look like a green swirling mist collapsing in on you.
    Mid Level Bosses (Rectus to Turtle Lord)
    Show
    Mid level bosses you need a team in order to kill except for Flame Nightmare, but that probably is more of needless challenge then anything. There are certain things to look for when tackling mid level bosses and neat things a Phantom Blade can bring to the table when doing them. Let's first take a look at probably the easiest of the mid level bosses, Rectus.
    Rectus (Rec)
    Show
    Engaging Rectus will cause him to do an arena wide aoe that will do around 50-70% of your hit points depending on your gear at this level, however with good timing (After around he's channeled for 3/3.5 seconds) you can (R) this reducing it's damage greatly. DO NOT use (T) at the start because he will most likely immediately use his Anti-Magic-Shell, just do what you'd normally do until 75% where he will become immune and spawn an add called "Avenger". You need to kill this add as fast possible as Rectus will constantly be doing arena wide damage that slowly gets more and more punishing; this is your damage window where you want to use (T) and reset it and kill Avenger asap. After Avenger dies, Rectus will be stunned for around 2 seconds and you want to quickly position yourself and use whatever time left you have on your (T) if Avenger dies before it's over.

Continue with doing normal dps until 50% where he will do the same thing again except this time he will spawn Stalkers as well in a circle around him so don't be under him and make sure to immediately kite with (Q) if any are on you as the Stalkers can quickly surrounded you and take you down. Be careful your (Q) doesn't get you surrounded either. This is where you'll want to use your second (T) and get that Avenger down as fast as you can while killing Stalkers if possible. Be careful when Stalkers die as they will explode dealing damage and if you kill all of them at once while they are near you, you are 100% dead. After the Avenger dies, he'll be stunned again for 2 seconds and you know the drill, use whatever is left of your (T) on him before he probably uses his second Anti-Magic-Shell at this point.

Do normal Dps until 25% where he will do his 3rd and last summoning phase. You want to completely ignore all adds and be ready to position yourself for your (F) as after a few seconds of him channeling he will enrage all adds and they WILL kill you very quickly if they manage to get on you. Your job here is to get the timing down and use your (F) right when he finishes channeling and then use your (T) if available to finish him off before you or your team go down. Be careful here if your late on your (F) because he will 100% use his Anti-Magic-Shell (if he didn't during 50% to 25%) if you miss time your (F) after he finishes channeling. There is a "Life Orb" near the back of the arena that can make this phase go by a lot smoother if you need to use it for healing, just damage it down to 0 for it to trigger tranquility. You can only use it twice during the fight otherwise it will just start killing you instead.
    Spirit Beast (SB)
    Show
    Spirit Beast is the neighbour of Rectus and is a lot simpler of fight. What you want to do here is pop everything immediately as this fight is more of a burst battle then anything. Use and reset (T) and use Death/Grim Visage's active right at the start of the fight after he uses his Anti-Magic-Shell and do as much damage as you can with your team and that will mostly likely get you the kill while ignoring the mechanics. He will target and face random people and send a green shockwave towards them leaving a trail of mist that heals him if he stands inside of it and damage you if you do. if you have the dps, just ignore the mist and keep bursting him down as fast as possible otherwise move him and tell the person tanking him in the mist to move him out of it if you don't have enough dps to just burst, just dodge and reposition if he targets you or (R) it as it's about to hit for free souls then move out of the mist. He will spawn a ghostly clone that does the same thing and can be handled the same way, just dodge it and reposition or (R) and reposition.

At 50% he'll start calling down lightning strikes that stun which are annoying, but not a reason to move if your just gunning for the kill using burst. He himself also improves his shockwave making it blue causing it to travel towards a random player after targeting them and it will now arc back towards that player as well. If your targeted, you need to dodge this unless your bursting and position the loop back in a way that won't hit Spirit Beast. Use your (F) around 20-30% of his hit points and wait him to move out the green or blue mist if your not bursting.
    Flame Nightmare (FN)
    Show
    This boss is not that complicated as long as you have a team. If your doing solo, it becomes extremely difficult and is honestly not worth doing unless you want the Dark Souls Twrpg experience. I'll explain it from 2 different team strategies. I do not recommend doing it solo if your just trying to get to end game as fast as possible. I'll write a solo guide specifically if requested, but it's not worth mentioning otherwise. Regardless there is 2 adds to watch for called "Anger" and " Hatred". Anger will just focus a player and auto-attack them doing moderate damage that you just want to run away from or face tank if you can, it's honestly not that much, but can catch you off guard because he has a bash that can stun you so look out for him when he's on you. Hatred is the annoying one as he targets a player and marks them with this purple swirl under them and he will begin charging a large ball of certain death that will fly towards that player doing nothing to them, but most likely killing those around them and any player between the targeted player and Hatred if they are struck by it as it travels.

If your targeted by Hatred just don't move and hope others will move as it's travelling towards you, only move if someone else is going to die from not moving away from you. Flame Nightmare also has an Anti-Magic-Shell so wait for that to be used before using any of your main dps cooldowns, but he'll probably use it while someone is holding him in the middle of the arena most of the time if your playing with a team, so you don't really need to worry that much about that.
    The "Middle" Strategy
    Show
    This is the most effective and easiest strategy that is entirely dependent on your team's dps. You have someone who is tanky or that can hold him still threw his "Fall to your knees!" jump and letting the adds that spawn travel to him healing him to full afterwards. While this person is doing this, the rest of team should be standing far away from the boss until the adds reach him. Afterwards you want to all go in using your (T) and Ring of the Sage or Ring of Intrusion reset and burst him down asap dodging his "Targeting (Player Name)" if it's on you by running away or running in a circle until he targets a random person at around 35% health in which he will do an 11-12 second version of his "Targeting (Player Name)" ability where he will become invulnerable and won't move until the duration expires. You want to time your (F) for the right moment when the duration expires to not allow him to use his Anti-Magic-Shell and let your team kill him in the time of your freeze and stun if possible. (Left Picture is where your holder will be standing, right gif is your (F) timing after the duration expires at 35% health)
    ImageImage
    The Kiting Strategy
    Show
    The Kiting Strategy you'll rarely do and only do if you don't have the dps to kill him from his first "Fall on your knees" jump. Your job here is to wait until he uses "Fall to your knees" and the holder kites him over to the top right of the Volcanic Lands then after his next fall if there is one to the Bottom Left of the Volcanic Lands and then you'd just go back and forth if needed.(Check imgs for exact locations, Top img is top right location, Bottom img is bottom left location). One neat thing a Phantom Blade can do here is pull and slow the mini firelords as they are walking towards Flame Nightmare making it impossible for them to contact him as long as your spamming your (Q). You won't really need to do this though if he is kited properly and is only recommended if things going wrong with kiting him, otherwise just wait until he's in position and burst him until 35% Health and wait for the duration of "Targeting (Player name)" to expire and be ready to time your (F) as explained in The Middle Strategy.
    ImageImage
    Turtle Lord (TL)
    Show
    Honestly there isn't much to say on Turtle Lord. Let whoever is holding him move him to the middle of the Deep Sea area, (T) at the start and get him to his 25% damage dealt phases asap and spam (Q) after the turtles land to pull them towards you making it way easier to kill over them being spread out; this will happen 3 times throughout the encounter. Whenever the "Healing Turtle" spawns, you will be pinged on the map on either the left or right side of the Deep Sea area and want to head over and kill before it reaches Turtle Lord, but it's really not a issue as (Q) is king when it comes to slows. You can save your (T) for the Healing Turtle, but you don't really need to worry about it. It's a pretty simple fight for Phantom Blade and your main goal is honestly to just stack the turtles every 25% with your (Q) for your team.
    End-Game Level Bosses (Skeleton King to Shadow Dragon)
    Show
    End-Game is where things really get interesting and really fun being a Phantom Blade as you can do a lot of cool and neat things during most of these encounters with enough practice. It's also when you will begin to craft your 3 most important items which is a great thing to look forward to as you get each mat 1 by 1. You 100% need a team for every encounter in this list and while in the gearing process, or Pre-Oceanus/Wos/Rot to be exact. So just remember to be humble and modest about what you get and don't be a hog because you are nothing and can't survive without your team here. The most valuable thing at this level or in TWRPG in general is the people you play with and the bond you make with them no matter how cheesy that sounds, it can't be more true especially when your playing a DOT (Damage Over Time) Dps class like the Phantom Blade. I can't stress enough how important it is to make friends with your team and actually start thinking of mats/items going to different people as "Team Progression" rather than "Personal Progression". Always remember that if you have a good team they won't abandon you and leave you behind and patience really is a virtue. If you really want something like Oceanus, The Sword of Light considering how important it is for Phantom Blade, I implore that you talk with your team about rushing that item for you first and talk out why it's important to get asap. Overall, my main point is that you need to keep in mind that your team is the most important thing and not to cause fights over mats/items, your all there to have fun with each other and experience end-game together, if there is any issues, please talk it out with your team and don't be pouty or pitiful about it; toxicity is the last thing you want in your team. Progressing end-game with your team is probably the most fun you will have with TWRPG, at least it was and still is for me. With that out of the way, let us start with our first end-game boss, Skeleton King Desperia.
    Skeleton King Desperia (SK)
    Show
    This is the hardest boss for Phantom Blade at this level because if you don't master being at your maximum of 500 range away from him, you will die from his insta-kill stomp procs at every 25% checkpoint of his HP. You could just move away and reposition, but remember your goal of being a Phantom Blade is not moving to do as much as possible; this is the fight that basically defines that statement. I recommend inching your way forward to him as the fight begins while using your (A) to see if it's triggering your (E) to know when your within maximum range after you position that is your damage window to use (T) and reset it while praying to TWRPG gods that no-one causes him to move or you will need to reposition at maximum range as fast as you can. Be careful though because you might have to reposition regardless due to him having a knockback ability.

At around 50-60% health he will begin trying to cast what is known as "Fall" as he says "Fall in Despair!" and this is where you can do something very cool as a Phantom Blade and that is dodge this insta-kill mechanic using your (F) with good timing (Check the Gif below). Best way to time this is to use your (F) right when the screen flashes purple if you play with -flash on; this is how I do it personally. If you don't have your ultimate or can't get into a position to dodge Fall, run into the left or right sides of the arena into the skulls with the green mist over them, then get out asap when Fall is over so you don't die from ticking damage while sitting in either side. Reposition yourself at maximum range and just kill him as fast as you can from there hoping your team doesn't move him an inch and you should have a clean experience.

If you have a lot of other melee in this fight, it's near impossible to properly position yourself at all even, while Skeleton King Desperia is within his small alcove and you will honestly find yourself afking pretty much just trying to position if you play with a larger team, still try to do as much as you can though and make the best effort.
    Bone Dragon (BD)
    Show
    Bone Dragon is one of the really simple end-game fights that isn't to much of challenge on the Phantom Blade's end. Use your (T) at the start of the fight, but DO NOT reset it, because at 50% he will jump to the middle of his arena and start healing and have massively increased damage reduction. During the encounter, you will notice an odd slower looking auto-attack that he does which is actually a skill he uses dubbed as "Claw". Someone needs to be hit by this swipe (Preferable a strength character or someone who can survive it) or else he will do a large purple howl and basically kill your entire team. If you notice no one is going to take claw, run in front of it and time the swipe with your (R) as you can see me doing when I explained (R) in the skills section. He will launch phoenixes at a random player and needs to be stunned during this cast which is indicate by him saying "something I can't remember (Player Name)" and him spreading his wings out. If your targeted by this, just run away from it until it stops or he is stunned and kill the phoenixes.

During his 50% phase, he will spawn tentacles under a player in 1 by 1 sequence in sets of 3. You will know when you are targeted because your screen with flash red if you have -flash on and it will say "You feel something hot under your feet". Try not to position the tentacle spawn against a wall and do it out in the open or near another tentacle if one is already within the arena. On the third tentacle, this one is crazy and starts flailing around and you have a decent chunk of time to position yourself behind another tentacle that isn't flailing otherwise you will instantly die after the third one explodes; this usually marks the end of the 50% phase. After his 50% phase which is indicated by him saying "My Power is fading" is your damage window to use and reset (T) and burst him down until he's dead while keeping the other mechanics in mind including his 50% mechanic being the tentacles and you should have yourself a kill.
    Ancient Ent (AE)
    Show
    This fight is super easy as long as your team has someone to hold and someone to collect the orbs that spawn at a rapid rate. Your job here as Phantom Blade is to perform the encounter's mechanics and just dps like hell. Ancient Ent right after he's engaged will do 1 of 2 things. One, summon a large storm that covers 1 portion of the arena that you want to move out of, or if your feeling ballsy, you can stand in it and just BARELY survive with a well timed (R) for extra souls. Two, summon a large green ring under or around him that deals large damage and knocks up anyone within; you can just move out of this easily though. He will constantly do both of these throughout the whole fight.

When you bring him to 50% of his health he will spawn 2 adds to the left and right of him called "Elder Ents". You want someone that is able to hold, like a Knight, to push the left Elder Ent away and survive on their own meanwhile the rest of your team is killing the right elder ent asap. At 66% and 33%, an Elder Ent will become immune to damage and target a random player by surrounding them with a red circle then leaping into the air leaving a orange circle for a few moments where the targeted player last was soon landing and instantly killing anyone under his landing point. If your targeted with this just cause him to land away from Ancient Ent or the other Elder Ent otherwise they will heal immensely; best positions are near the top/bot left/right corners. Another thing Elder Ents can do is reflect the damage you will deal which you will know when they say "Don't underestimate the armor of ents!" and turning a brownish orange colour. At this point you want to stop everything you're doing and either wait for it to expire or have someone with a "Guard Break" break it off of them like Lancer or Knight. After one Elder Ent dies, Ancient Ent will lose his massive damage reduction, and you can either burst kill him or help kill the other Elder Ent; doesn't really matter, just make sure the other Elder Ent doesn't jump on Ancient Ent and you should have yourself a kill.

I recommend using (T) and resetting it at the start of the fight and using your second (T) before the first Elder Ent jump as those are probably your best damage windows, Your (T) should come just in time for you to use it again whenever the first Elder Ent dies to go nuts on Ancient Ent and finish him off with your (F) when he's around 20-30% health.
    Archangel Samael (SM)
    Show
    Oh how I personally loathe the existence of this boss because of a single ability which seems to find its way to reach the inner recesses of my brain and tickle my amygdala in the opposite direction that is a state of calm as I scream to skies "VANISH", but I digress.

Samael isn't necessarily difficult for Phantom Blade, but more of pain if your team or you is dying to his mechanics 1 by 1 because they can REALLY catch you off guard if your not paying attention to what is happening. First thing to mention is that he has a shield that you can't really do anything about except continue with dpsing so don't worry about it; it's a guard breaker's problem. He will eventually summon forth circles of glowing light as he says "Vanish" and this is the most annoying ability for me personally that any boss has even though you simply just move out of it, BUT it's not that easy since it slows and does dot damage depending on how many layers of the glowing circles he puts on you. After a few seconds, they will explode like holy light but killing you instantly most likely instead of healing you. At full mana, he will say "What a Hassle" becoming immune to CC and doing waves of knockbacks if your to close in range of him, so be careful where you position. He will also say "Annihilate (Player Name)" in which 7-8? waves of light begin to swirl around him and are slowly launched towards the targeted player stunning and dealing moderate damage to anyone struck by it as it travels to the player. If you get targeted by this, you want to move to the carpeted area of the arena and reposition again once the final wave has been sent towards you.

After you get him to 66% of his health, he teleports to the center of the large devotion aura in the room, pulling you in if your far away from him, creating a large circle of inescapable light, and begins creating patterns of glowing holy runes within the circle 8 times before it ends that you want to avoid at all costs or you will die instantly and heal him causing him to repeat this "Wheel Phase" again until no one dies from it. Just move according to the empty spaces he leaves and be careful if your positioned above him during this phase to not click on his large wings.

After this phase ends, until he does it again at 33% health, he will gain a new ability on top of his shield, "Vanish", "What a Hassle", and "Annihilate (Player Name)" where he will spawn 16? orbs around him that must be collected or else he will heal massively and might trigger another wheel phase. You can collect these orbs extremely fast while within your (T), but don't over do it or else you will die. After his second wheel phase at 33% ends, is where you will want to (F) immediately to stop him from casting anything that can heal him and allow your team and you to finish him off quickly and you should have yourself a kill. Your best Damage Window is at the start and middle of this fight, so (T) and reset it and use the second (T) after first wheel is over to do as much as possible.
    Zombie Lord (ZL)
    Show
    Zombie Lord is probably the worst fight in terms of DPS for Phantom Blade simply because burst classes excel here over dot classes, but that does not mean you can't do anything or compare to them during this encounter. Make your sure team brings 4 holy water with them unless your all ballsy and have insane damage to not need it, which is likely not the case if your progressing. Your damage window is right when he's engaged and after he revives the first time so use and reset your (T) and use the second (T) after he gets up for the first time to do as much damage as possible this fight.

There are a few things to watch out for during this encounter, but I will first talk about his acolytes. There are 4 acolytes to keep an eye on, specifically there mana, during the encounter. Once they reach 100 mana they need to be stunned otherwise they will send out a death coil that restores his health/mana by a large amount and instantly killing anyone along it's travel path. Your job as a Phantom Blade here is absolutely nothing, because you have no methods to stun; just call out when one is about to reach full mana to help your team if it seems like not a lot of attention is being payed to the acolytes (it does happen sometimes).

The first thing Zombie Lord will most likely do is send out a certain amount of green orbs, dubbed as "Bomb", towards various players and zombie adds causing there screen to turn green, and after about a 5 second delay, exploding nearly killing you and most definitely killing you if you are around another zombie or player who is about to explode. You can time your (R) at 4 seconds to reduce the damage (Check Gif below) and if near another player will cleanse you of yours first so only one technically goes off which can save you sometimes if a zombie that is going to explode is chasing you, but your a Phantom Blade so your usual safe. The main thing you're looking for this encounter is when he says "..." then "Feed my Hunger". You want to stand away from him, but spam your (Q) to set his movement speed to 0 so your team can escape him with ease. He will take 0 damage from all sources while he is doing this so spam away without worrying about dps until his feeding period is over.

After his first "Death" you want to run to one corner of the room and stand away from the acolytes as they will send out death coils towards him bringing him back to full health/mana for his second life. At the start of his first "Feed my Hunger" during this life, if he even gets to that point considering your group might just take him right to 3rd life, he will do something dubbed as "Star" where he will mark ground around him twice in a star pattern instantly killing anyone within one of the lines as they go off after about 2-3 seconds. This always does some moderate arena wide damage and if he places a Bomb on you, you can (R) Star's damage which will cleanse the bomb off of you which is neat to pull off when you can do it. After star is over, just kill him again and wait for him to get up one last final time hopefully.

You will probably have no cooldowns here, but that doesn't matter because your only real job on third life is to dps and make sure you have 4 souls or (T) up for your (F) at around 50-60% to delay him from doing "..." potentially giving your team enough time to outright kill him before he does anything and that should be a kill for you and your team. (Check Gif below, I used F at 50% with a team that had heavy burst so my prediction of "..." didn't even come up, but I did delay him so even if "..." doesn't show you are delaying him from doing it past 50-60% when he will try to do so) If he gets full mana during 3rd life, he will gain a 4th life and so on, so make sure your team is stunning those acolytes and not feeding his hunger and your looking at a kill. A small thing to note is that after each life he gains a certain amount of damage reduction so that's why you want to use your cooldowns on 1st and 2nd life, because 3rd life you just want to delay that "..." so your team has extra time to kill him because you want to burst asap on 3rd life.

Sidenote: Your damage window varies depending how much people you have on your team while doing this encounter. Sometimes, with a group that has moderate damage or not a lot of burst, its best to (T) and not reset it on 1st life and wait for 2nd life to use you're (T) again and reset it using it the 3rd time on 3rd life ulting at the very end if you can for the "..." delay. Don't wait for the last second of your (T) in this case if it means missing the delay of "...", just use your ultimate at 50-60% as you always should
    Zombie Lord (R) Bomb
    Show
    Zombie Lord (F) Delay
    Show
    Shadow Dragon Irbert (SD)
    Show
    This is the final of the End-game bosses and probably the one with the most to talk about. This fight is also the best fight for Phantom Blade to really deal some damage and get very nice percentages on the Power Recorder in my opinion. I'm going to start off by explaining your damage window for this boss. First thing to mention however is that the water and any place that isn't the center snow island will damage you and your team if your not on that island leaving you and your team with not a lot of wiggle room, but you can still position very easily; the damage increases the longer your out there and only resets once you head back to the center snow island. You want to (T) at the start and not reset it, but wait until after he says "Let me drain your inner evils" and the green swirling vortex around him either expires or someone guard breaks him, otherwise damage will just heal him instead, then (T) and damage him down to 50% of his hit points.

While your dpsing him to 50%, he will turn towards a random player almost in an unnatural targeting manner and disguising what looks like auto-attack, but is actually a very scary breath attack that with nearly kill you if your hit, and if it doesn't kill you, will also prevent you from benefiting from healing unless you are cleansed. You have 2 options here when he turns and faces you like this (It will take some practice to recognize what this looks like). You either move immediately out of the way and reposition as fast as you can, or you can be extremely ballsy and time your (R) for when it's about to hit for extra souls and a (Q) and (W) reset for more damage; you won't get the healing debuff either by doing this. I recommend just moving while learning this fight, because there is something more important that you will want to (R) as it is detrimental to your dps during this fight. Once you get comfortable with this encounters mechanics, then go for (R) on Shadow Breath. The thing you really want to keep an eye out for is whether there is a purple bolt of lightning that just struck down on you, but didn't do anything immediately. This is actually placing a moderately sized circle, when comparing the room your working with, under your feet which is going to deal light damage and silence you for around 5-6? seconds. The moment you see that purple bolt you want to (R) immediately and block this so your not sitting there spamming (A) for a long duration when you can instead reset your (Q) and (W) and get 4 free souls. Do this enough and it will become muscle memory which can actually lead to a problem later on in the fight.

Once he reaches 50% he will teleport back to his spawn location and become invulnerable and spawn 1 large version of him and 3 mini versions of him to his left and right sides (1 large version takes one side, 3 minis take the other, its random each time which side they take). You want to kill the 3 mini versions as fast as possible with your team and stun lock them so they don't triple breath on your team, but honestly Phantom Blade can't really do much with the 3 minis unless your team has someone to group them all. After the 3 minis die, everyone on your team will be marked with a expanding purple glowing and growing "Seed" which you want to stay away from people before the duration expires causing it to explode and kill anyone around you. This can be cleansed, but you DO NOT want that to happen, but your (R) can do this so you need to be careful especially when the large version dies.

After the first seed period ends, your team will want to move the larger version of Irbert to the center island. This version of Irbert shares all of the originals abilities of the main body so you need to keep in mind everything from before you got Irbert's main body to 50% and kill it as fast as you can with your team; this is also where you'll want to (T) again, but still not reset it, unless you have a lot of dps, in that case you want to save (T) for after it dies. When the larger version dies, it will spread "Seed" on your team again and this is the moment where you can really mess things up if you muscle memory (R) a silencing purple bolt if it appears on you at this moment (Check Gif below).

After you survive the 2nd seed period, Irbert will re-engage your team will the same abilities as before except gaining two extra abilities one being dubbed as "Link". This looks like a shining arcing line of light between 2 players and Irbert himself connecting the 3 of them. The 2 players targeted need to move adjacent to each other (One goes left, one goes right) in order to break this link asap otherwise he will heal slowly and have a massive damage reduction increase while they are connected. The other ability he gains is dubbed as "Boom" which looks like a very large unholy aura where he will stop attacking, mark a location with it, and eventually release a large projectile that went it hits that large unholy aura will instantly kill anyone inside the aoe.

Once you re-engage with Irbert, this is your best damage window and when you can really take off on the Power Recorder using and resetting your (T) and ulting right at the end of your second (T) if your team managed to get him low enough. You kinda have to hope that someone guard breaks him whenever he says "Let me drain you inner evils" otherwise you need to stop regardless if your in the middle of your (T). If you get targeted with link while within (T), just spam click to the furthest end of whatever side you positioned yourself on and you should be fast enough to solo break link without the other person even realizing they are also linked and reposition yourself again. Keeping all those mechanics in mind while dpsing and that should earn you and your team with a Shadow Dragon Irbert kill.

Sidenote: Just like Zombie Lord there is a lot of wiggle room about when your best damage window is depending on your number of players and how many of them are dmg classes. Sometimes I've reset (T) right at the start of the fight and used/saved the second one for the larger image of Irbert, because your Ring of Time might actually come off cooldown if your playing with a low number of people. Figuring out how your team is performing with your first attempt at Shadow Dragon is the best way to see where you can deal the most damage. I gave you what I did personally and what it usually ends up being during the fight.

Sidenote 2: I didn't create that gif on purpose, do this boss enough and it will happen to you to, I can guarantee it. Using (R) right when you see that purple bolt becomes second nature faster than you'd think.
    This is what a bad (R) looks like on this fight
    Show
    VERY End-Game Bosses
    Show
    Phantom Blade after the recent changes I think is finally a viable choice to bring into very end-game, but I still think you're probably better off making another class that helps your team progress at this stage until your team gets to a good enough point to bring your Phantom Blade to these fights (Unless you need the damage) which could take a very long time and is the true test of patience of any person that wants to play Phantom Blade seriously. It could be a little hard to just drop the class like that for now after taking it this far already, but if it's to help a team eventually help you, then the sacrifice is worth it in my opinion (If you do make this decision, just remember to pick a another class you enjoy that helps the team at this stage). Fights here are still probably difficult to damage in as Phantom Blade because of the high movement demand, but I need to confirm this since I just started doing them as Phantom Blade. Phantom Blade can't deal with any of the mechanics properly and stably compared to other classes like Bow Master, Sniper, or anything that's burst and/or is a proper ranged character, but now I do believe that with changes you just need to find the proper the window of damage, I need to more testing at this level to confirm all this, I'll keep you updated. I am currently jumping between Merchant and Phantom Blade right now as my team is progressing and crafting Alteia Items as they are slowly introduced more and more to the map and it's still a fun experience and why I really wanted to drive home a healthy mindset revolving around your team before you read about doing the end-game boss fights. I mention the use of some items being useful at this stage in the game, you can/should still craft them for when you reach this stage personally even if you decide to switch characters for the time being. Thanks for reading this chunky portion of the guide.

Sidenote: I'll write about these bosses once I actually get the proper experience on how to handle them as a Phantom Blade, but for now I'm just going to leave them blank for my own simplicity as I update the guide. (I just started going them, so I'll update this as soon as I get concrete strategies on how to best deal with each encounter)
    Death Fiend (DF)
    Show
    Valtora (Valt)
    Show
    Ifrit (Ifrit)
    Show
    Nereid (Nereid)
    Show
    V: Issues and Complications of the Phantom Blade
    Show
    (Current Version 0.29f) I'm going to talk about the current issues that "I" believe afflict the class as a serious player of the Phantom Blade and more important as a serious critiquer of the class itself. I'm coming from a point of view of playing the class for a really long time and wanting the class to succeed in a healthy balanced manner and feel that listing these issues are an important thing know before jumping into the class since as a new player you will most likely run into most if not all of these issues and some of them may very well honestly make you want to drop the class for another which is something personally I would not want see happen because I feel that Phantom Blade does have a lot to offer in terms of a "Fun" experience and with recent updates it definitely is improving in the right direction. This is why I created this section because if your well informed as a beginner and know what your getting into you may get the teflon skin to ignore some of these and see what the class has to offer. This doesn't mean that things about the class shouldn't change, the issues are still issues and change is always good until harmony can be met (Recent changes are really proving this point in a good way). I'm going to create 2 different sections of issues, one being major issues, and the other being minor issues. Major issues will cover what I think would kill the desire to play the class and the things that fundamentally feel wrong with the class and that I believe should/need to be changed to a degree if the class is to really succeed/compare and match the other classes in the very end-game or even be a viable choice at all at that point in general. Minor issues are more quality of life things that I feel should be changed about the class to make it more accessible and easier to play for anyone that wants to learn playing Phantom Blade, but not really a big deal if they don't change. I'll start with the major issues because you will most likely want to read them first.

If there is any section of this guide I'd want to have a discussion/debate with someone about, it would be this section on each specific issue.
    Major Issues with Phantom Blade
    Show
    Currently, after playing Phantom Blade and seeing success and stability in VERY End-game play even with all the difficulty it brings to the class. I can safely say that Phantom Blade is finally in a healthy place after months and months being called "Trash-Tier". I never considered it, but (Q) can count as indirect Team Presence so I'd say that issue is more of a minor than major issue considering it is there, just doesn't really compare to most other dps classes team presence. However, Phantom Blade is a Pure Dps class and is in a very strong place right now as I personally feel it should considering how much literal pain you need to go through in order to pull of really high damage output and have the mental coordination to not skip procs, manage your (E), using (R) as the only method to keep you alive while dpsing, etc. It's an extremely demanding experience and it always has been, but finally it comes with the proper reward and I think Phantom Blade is perfectly fine in its current state. I'm currently trying to get testing done from other classes to see what a proper range of DPS actually looks like in comparison with all other dps classes, but I'm noticing somethings about some of the classes I've witnessed being tested that are making it difficult to do this with accuracy. Phantom Blade was definitely not the only class with major issues, but it definitely was the one with the most and largest issues when comparing with other classes. I think however Phantom Blade doesn't need anymore changes from the class itself and now it's more about how items themselves impact Phantom Blade in the coming future.
    Minor Issues with Phantom Blade
    Show
    Unit collison
    Show
    There are so many times where you might spend 5+ seconds just trying to reposition yourself because of every little thing that can get in your way and this really sucks when your in your (T). It also doesn't help that while within (T) you can get stuck on people, units, and objects and glitch back forth doing small jolts of movement instead of smoothly moving to where you want to be. As I explained on Skeleton King with a full team, i've spent the whole time trying to position properly and the boss was already dead. Ignoring unit collision would be a nice change, but currently you can work with how it is pretty well once you practice positions on each encounter, it's just a huge pain rarely to the point where I'd almost consider it a major issue. You'll find yourself doing nothing or wasting (T) because of unit collison alone.
    (T) needs to leave you with 8 or 4 souls after it's duration expires
    Show
    Gunner recently got a change where it's (T) gave it full bullets on use and Phantom Blade's (T) is practically the same just in reverse order when looking at it mechanically. You'll have a semi-moderate period of down time trying to get your souls back after (T) expires as it currently stands. Giving 8, or 4 souls even, after (T)'s duration would make it smoother to transition into your (E) management period. This one is not really that big of an issue, it's just quality of life change. Whether this would change doesn't really affect the class that much.
    VI: Summary of Thoughts on the Phantom Blade
    Show
    After me writing and you reading through everything I feel like a small summary is important. Phantom Blade is a very fun class, that is very item dependent, requires practice at timing and positioning, and comes with more apparent issues than most other class's. This is a class that isn't for everyone, but I truly hope after reading through all this and being as informed as possible, that it is the class for you. I hope your experience with it is a fun and positive one and that you enjoy everything it has to offer you. Thanks for reading my guide and if your a beginner looking for a class to play, Welcome to TWRPG and I hope you stick around even if Phantom Blade isn't the class for you. Now have some gifs of me being a bad Phantom Blade :kekw:.
    Me being bad #1
    Show
    Me being bad #2
    Show
    Me being bad #3
    Show
    Me being bad #4
    Show
    VII: Archives
    Show
    This is just the place where I keep information in case it needs to be referred back to again, it holds no importance to the guide itself, so don't worry about this section. Consider this as a historical tracking of Phantom Blade changes and my take on them during their era.
    0.29a information
    Show
    Old Itemization section information
    Show
    End-Game Gear
    Show
    You have 3 options here for helmets just like at the minors and mids level, except each of these helmets has a clear role to play and a definite BIS choice being Eye of Wallachia. Halo of Judgment has a time and place and Dragon Mask is an easy craft.
    Eye of Wallchia
    Show
    This your best option out of all these helms for dps and is the improved version of Grim Visage offering an increased stat lineup and the most important thing being changing the active to a proc. The Proc gives a very nice amount of bonus stats and is automatic compared to Grim Visage or Dragon Mask. A neat thing about this helm is that there is a clear indicator of when it procs as your screen will flash green for 1 second if you play with -flash on. After that flash is when you actually get the proc bonus. Timing your (T) with this proc is best, but don't go out of your way and wait for it to proc if it means missing your damage window. Remember, the more you (T) the more you can (T) during an encounter, so don't wait. You also really only need 2 end-game mats to craft it, but those 2 mats are harder to get over Dragon Mask's mats so it might take some time to craft this helm.
    Halo of Judgment
    Show
    Halo of Judgment is a good helm that beats Dragon Mask, but not Eye of Wallachia for Dps, however it has an Anti-Magic-Shell on a 90 second cooldown which is where it really shines for Phantom Blade as a survival method. The pure damage it offers is a nice bonus for what you'd really be using it for making it the 2nd best option out of the 3 helms. Just like Grandine, The Plates of Wraith, I would only use this over Eye of Wallachia during Death Fiend/Valtora/Ifrit because that Anti-Magic-Shell will save the skin on your bones more than you can imagine during those encounters if you can take part in them.
    VERY End-Game Gear
    Show
    New items are coming out soon that the Phantom Blade can use, but one item is out now the stands above the rest of anything in existence right now. The one thing that only remains in the dreams of the neet that is the Phantom Blade and is the true reason for her actual coming to the world of "The World". Realistically speaking, you won't be getting these items for a very long time or unless your team is willing to carry you pretty much.
    Weapon (Atricia, The Sword of Dreams)
    Show
    This thing is Oceanus, The Sword of Light, but so so much more, just look at it. I wanna cry tears of joy simply from its existence. All I can really say is and I speak for all Phantom Blades when I do is "Atricia when".
    Old Q and A answers
    Show
    Q: How good is Phantom Blade at the only thing it can do? (Being Dps of course)
    A: Honestly, its damage feels extremely good if you ask me (It does need some improvements however compared to other classes), it’s just extremely hard to be consistent with it if you don’t know what you’re doing which I will touch upon later in the guide. I even struggle most of the time to perform at my highest level do how much things need to go perfectly for you to output really high percentages on the "Power Recorder". (This whole answer was wrong, especially after doing tests, compared from before to now, it was really really in bad state until 0.29c came along)
    Q: Is Phantom blade a fun class to play?
    A: I personally really enjoy it and enjoy it’s play-style out of my 3 main characters that I have right now, but there are a few things with the class that feel fundamentally wrong which you will see in the guide and from playing Phantom Blade and you will learn why it's important to know.
    Q: Do you like being called what is considered a meme class?
    A: Eh, kind of, that’s the sacrifice you pay for loading Phantom Blade in its current state. This is something I've personally had to get used to, hopefully you don't get that experience, i'm just warning you that it may happen. There is chance you may even be bullied out of playing the class, but I will go into depth about that in the Issues section of the guide.
    Q: Is Phantom Blade good for a Team?
    A: Sadly, no. We will get into why later in the guide and as you read you will slowly understand why as it can only do one thing moderately well at high-levels compared to other classes.
    Q: Are mats wasted on you?
    A: Probably, can’t lie here. It's still worth it if you plan to main this class however, it's just hard to justify giving items to a Phantom Blade over other classes due to the fact that other classes can take that gear further into the game with more success. Personally and admitting, I feel a sense of guilt almost whenever I win a item or material drop over another class that could use it better, yet I still keep it because I want to progress as well with Phantom Blade as I enjoy very it much.
    Old Issue Information
    Show
    The Biggest issue: Bullying
    Show

I really want to clarify here that this is personally what I believe is the biggest issue and run into a lot and truly hope this isn't the most major issue for you when playing Phantom Blade and there is going to be a lot of controversy on. This is my "personal" take and belief on the issue and what I feel needs the most addressing and to be talked about seriously.

Honestly and I hate to say it, you will be bullied when your playing this class either verbally or gameplay wise due to the class's current state of not offering anything to a team and giving this ideology that it is ok to say things/do things to the player of the class simply because of what he's playing and having fun with from the core belief that people will most likely say to you being "Your a meme class" (Check gifs below, I deal with things like this as a Phantom Blade player everytime I load it basically, if people can bully you for amusement, or by proving/saying how useless you are, there is honestly a likely chance they will). This "Your a meme class" is a very lowkey way of saying that your useless and have nothing to offer and really whenever it's said doesn't mean anything and isn't the issue here, it's just the sign off the underlying dislikeness others feel when you load Phantom Blade in a team that isn't accepting of it and most likely wanting you to drop the class and play a class that contributes more to the team. The bigger issue here is when that lowkey dislike for the class becomes a lot more apparent.

For instance I rolled and on God's Page and won and was verbally yelled at to pass it for a good 2 minutes because "Your playing a meme class, and I won't help it get it SD geared" and I did pass it in the end because like I said before when I explained it in the end-game bosses section, toxicity is not what you want even if the current reality of being Phantom Blade and having this happen to you sucks. There was another incident where I rolled on a Proof of Purification and won for Oceanus, the Sword the Light which really created some unhappy faces and I felt the inner detest as people slowly expressed themselves and left 1 by 1 (This issue was more coming from my Phantom Blade being an alt character at the time, but being a Phantom Blade made the issue a lot worse as it felt/looked like the Proof of Purification was being wasted on me). I've also been told that I may take these things a little to seriously, but there right in telling me this because in all my time of playing TWRPG, I've never seen another class EVER be treated the way Phantom Blade always is.

Majority of the time, being bullied is someone using a movement ability to cause your ultimate to miss, but sometimes it becomes a lot more than that, so you need to be prepared for it and stay calm and don't let it ruin your experience (But honestly speaking, I wouldn't blame you if it did).

I don't know if i'm just a big softy and complaining for no reason (Since i've been told this as well to the point where I believe/been conditioned that this might be a personal issue and not a class issue even though it really is the latter), but I just get sick and tired of being bullied because I enjoy a class and want to play it and always do my absolute best with it. Personally, i'm the only Phantom Blade player i've ever seen play it seriously and truly believe that this what kills the desire for new people from wanting to play the class and I know the only way to change this attitude about Phantom Blade is to change it fundamentally which leads me into my next major issues.

I really do hope as new Phantom Blade or a TWRPG player in general that you don't run into this issue, but it's practically an inevitability at this point for Phantom Blade.
    Being bullied #1
    Show
    Being bullied #2
    Show
    Being bullied #3
    Show
    Major Issue #2: Team Presence, and DOT Damage can't beat Burst
    Show
    Phantom Blade offers absolutely nothing for a team and does very inconsistent damage at/past end-game compared to burst damage classes. This is due to bosses being designed to have lots of points where you need to stop doing damage or just straight up can't do damage because they go invulnerable or immune. Burst classes have all of there damage front-loaded in their abilities with longer cooldowns to balance that, but DOT classes need longer periods of time to match the damage of burst classes which doesn't exist in the very end-game fights and it's even worse for Phantom Blade because how movement demanding the very end-game fights actually are, otherwise you will 100% die in all encounters. It's even worse if your the only Dot damage dealer on a team because the amount of burst damage burst classes do collectively will make you starve more for a damage window than being out in a desert for a month. This leads me to want to explain how Phantom Blade does it's damage exactly and how (Q) (W) and (T) are the core balancing aspects of whether this class can be burst or dot and by no means am I saying make every dot class burst, but for Phantom Blades sake there is a happy medium I know that can be reached to make the class perform at a level equal to other classes overall and especially in the very end-game. Team presence is probably the most important issue of the class since it's lack of such is what leads to the biggest issue of bullying and is the number 1 thing that I think needs to change.
    Major Issue #3: Phantom Blade needs core changes badly
    Show
    As Phantom Blade currently stands, it does moderate, yet incomparable damage to other classes (I want to clarify that dummy tests aren't good representations of Phantom Blade dps, because the dummy can't move and there is no interference from players unlike during a boss encounter), does nothing for a team, and gets bullied to oblivion to the point where any lore would prove that Phantom Blade is actually Orb of Oblivion from Skeleton King personified. There a things about the class that need to change in order for it to succeed because right now it's not in a healthy state. I'm going to list some changes that "I" think would help the class in subsections of this topic. I'm speaking entirely from experience all the way to end-game play, doing tests of my own, and really narrowing down what core aspects really make Phantom Blade a Phantom Blade. This probably the most important thing to have a discussion between we Phantom Blade players.
    The current (E) needs to be moved to (D) and (E) remade as a Team Presence ability
    Show
    (E) as it stands on its own is a toggle and probably where most of the Phantom Blade's damage comes from if your lucky with procs. Yet for something that takes up an ability slot, it does to little to warrant it staying there, when the prospect of it being moved to (D) and having an ability that gives some kind of team presence could take its place. Phantom blade urgently needs a change a like this in place for a form of an team presence ability like making your teams next attack within a certain range a guaranteed crit, skill damage % bonus, crit multiplier % increase, just something along the lines of a damage buff/heal/anything that affects the team really and it doesn't even need to affect Phantom Blade itself if it becomes a balance issue because by moving the current (E) to (D) Phantom Blade's function would literally stay the exact same and have the same output while giving it proper team presence (Something like Lancer's (T) or Soul Weaver's (W) is a good example). The reason I bring up the prospect of whether it affects self is because of the next issue for a core change that I will talk about which affects Phantom Blade's performance overall as a damage dealer.
    The (Q) (W) and (T) Dilema
    Show
    (Q) (W) and (T) is probably the most core aspect of how Phantom Blade currently deals damage. It's very reliant right now on getting as much out of your (T) as possible otherwise you can't perform at a high level. (Q) and (W)'s current damage scaling needs a slight improvement because of how much you can't do without having your (T) be available making you hit like a wet noodle almost during its cooldown period (This is one of the reasons (T) needs a flat duration buff because there is not enough time to deal damage and deal with mechanics most of the time in the end-game to the point where your only left with 1-2 seconds left on your (T)'s duration). One thing that needs to improved is the harmony between these 3 abilities, because as it stands currently, it's not in a healthy place considering boss encounters. What I mean by this is that currently each ability needs to be improved slightly (Q and W's scaling and T's duration), but then balanced between each other until a proper medium is met. For example it's kind of like a math equation, if you buff (Q) and (W), (T)'s duration needs to be decreased and visa versa if you buff (T)'s duration, then (Q) and (W) need to be nerfed. This choice however is extremely important as it defines whether Phantom Blade is a burst or dot dps class. The lesser duration of (T) would mean that damage is more front-loaded into it's periods where it doesn't have (T) making it more bursty when (T) is available and decreasing the extreme reliance the class has on (T), or if you were to increase the duration of (T) by a fair amount, it would make the class even more reliant on it and nerf (Q) and (W) if necessary, making it remain a dot damaging class, but giving it the proper time it needs to deal with mechanics and not waste (T)'s duration to deal damage akin to other classes performance levels.

It would take a certain amount of testing to figure out the happy medium between the two choices and make the decision of whether it's easier for Phantom Blade to be burst or dot, but (Q) (W) and (T) do need flat improvements as it stands before that the decision is made to become on pair with other classes current performance levels.
    0.29c information
    Show
    Old Issue Information
    Show
    Major Issue #1: Team Presence, and DOT Damage can't beat Burst (Updated)
    Show
    With the recent changes Phantom Blade has gotten, it's damage can honestly compare to other classes now compared to how bad it was before at end-game or very-end game levels. It still lacks team presence making it harder to bring on a team during those points in the game, HOWEVER I've been giving it serious consideration on whether this is actually a major or minor issue now considering I never took into account that Phantom Blade is meant to be a pure dps class at least from my understanding of it's design philosophy. I'm going to leave it here as major issue until I get more experience at the very-end game level afterwards, I will update this issue and place it properly as soon as I can. Like I mentioned in the now archived previous debate on this issue, you still need to consider the encounters movement demands and even more so with the recent changes whether Phantom Blade actually needs a team presence ability and I am on the case to figure out ifit still does or not with the recent changes. The bullying has also stopped after the change as far as I've experienced it which is why that whole debate is now archived if you were wondering where it went.
    Major Issue #2: Phantom Blade needs core changes badly (Updated)
    Show
    With the recent changes in mind, Phantom Blade did receive a massive core change that solved one of the problems I had listed before being "The (Q) (W) and (T) Dilema) from an angle I didn't notice was actually a problem (I've archived this prior debate). The fact that you can now (Q) and (W) while not needing to stop (A) spam pushed Phantom Blade in a very healthy direction. In regards to the current (E) being moved to (D) debate (Which Is also archived now) I think is a less prevalent issue now due what I mentioned in major issue #1. I'm still leaving them both as are because I need to confirm before I jump the gun on any final decision after testing. This is the place where I'd list some changes that "I" think would help the class in subsections of this topic. I'm speaking entirely from experience all the way to end-game play, doing tests of my own, and really narrowing down what core aspects really make Phantom Blade a Phantom Blade. This is probably the most important thing to have a discussion between we Phantom Blade players. (Currently I don't any reason for major core changes)
    Last edited by Jackhammer4000 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 31 times in total.

Reiitha
    Kobolt Lord

Re: Peanut Butter/Phantom Blade Guide

Post by Reiitha » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:06 am

do Slash considered as a skill btw??
    Just Come Back But Forgot What User And Email I Have Been Used Before XD
    • Battle Net Server IDGS Free : Tokisaki-Kurumi
    • Battle Net Server IDGS Public : Tokisaki-Kurumi
    • Battle Net Server Revogamers : Tokisaki-Kurumi
    • Battle Net Server EuroBattle.net : Tokisaki-Kurumi

Jackhammer4000
    Kobolt Lord

Post by Jackhammer4000 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:31 pm

I considered (A) Slash as a skill because it's unique in its function vs all other auto-attacks and felt that it was worth explaining in depth.

Jackhammer4000
    Kobolt Lord

Post by Jackhammer4000 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:28 pm

Updated Guide. Fixed some/most spelling and grammar issues, Made bosses section less chunky, Added Loot Table section to Itemization section.

Pix
    Kobolt Lord

Post by Pix » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:43 pm

69/10 guide

Just wanted to throw out I also experienced a lot of the same gameplay issues with PB, thanks for pointing out so many of them here. PB is a really underrated (perhaps deservedly so) class, but she's also so much fun despite the inherent risk of carpal tunnel.

If E does get reworked into PB's D passive, I think it'd be a good opportunity to create a multi-part skill that provides both qol and, as you put it, team presence. An idea for the new E skill could have a passive component which introduced a lock-on mechanic so that PB is always facing the target, triggered by (for example,) 1) the active component of E itself, 2) the use of W or 3) hitting 3 A attacks, which lasts for some duration of time. This could leave a simple debuff (-dr/mr, for example) which scale based on the number of souls PB currently holds (which would mean during T, the max effect is used). The active component of E could be used to amplify the debuff applied by the passive, providing something like additional -dr/mr, or an additional effect like % bonus received damage. With this reworked E, the lock-on effect would allow PB to actually make use of her only form of mobility (T), so she could strafe around the target while breaking your wrist on A/Q/W, in addition to just providing an overall better experience working around wc3 unit pathing, while the debuff provides much needed team presence.

In exchange for this, the original E proc component (reworked into D), and potentially Q/W would need some numbers lowered if PB started doing significantly more damage than other similarly geared DPS characters.

Thanks again for creating such an in-depth guide.

Jackhammer4000
    Kobolt Lord

Post by Jackhammer4000 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:25 pm

Updated guide to be accurate with 0.29c changes, Added/changed some Information across the guide in accordance with 0.29c changes, Added an Archives Section to call back on if needed, Updated very-end game itemization and major issues section as the biggest changes to the guide. (Let me know if you see anything wrong)

Jackhammer4000
    Kobolt Lord

Post by Jackhammer4000 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:23 pm

Updated Guide to 0.29f, Archived some major issue information and added more recent information as of 0.29f, VERY End-game boss strategies coming soon.