Love you all!

Discuss anything relevant to The World RPG!
Ashmedai
Lord of Everfrost

Love you all!

Post by Ashmedai » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:43 pm

R.I.P. Atalanta Skin

#ShittingLuckyCharms

Moldrin
Dragon Turtle

Re: Love you all!

Post by Moldrin » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:11 pm

I just got rickrolled, wow.

Now follows offtopic blog-like post. Sorry for the spam, I just felt like sharing my personal story with somebody :).
Anyways, as I'm writing a fucken post now, let me begin with paying my respects - I wish you all the best irl and in-game, you old fegs! Nostalgy is a bitch and i do miss ya; but all good things must come to an end, eventually, unfortunately, ain't that so?

It's quite interesting that I only yesterday learned about "rickrolling", while researching in google about absolutely unrelated stuff. And my familiarization with the term had also absolutely no relation to april fools day, as far as i'm concerned!
Why the situation is so interesting to me? Because, yet again, I proved to myself about the existense of some strange natural law...
Throughout the past years, I've found a very strange life phenomenon to pursue me. And I wonder if it's just me or it is indeed some "general unexplainable universe law"? Often, when I learn something new, for example - the meaning of a (new for me) word, a termin, something very sophisticated, you know - then very soon (like, the next moment, or day, or...) i hear it from an external source (i.e. someone in my real life says it, or refers to it, in a direct fashion). I just stumble onto this newly learned "object" quite unexpectedly, especially given the fact that I lived my life so far without knowing about it, or without hearing it often, or discussing it, etc; and please note that I just learned about something sophisticated, and not something common.

Now here's the story about how i discovered about rickroll.
Yesterday, for the first time, I started to learn about bicycle 101 basics stuff since i have zero knowledge, but have just decided to buy myself one. At some advanced moment of my research, i naturally came to the point to google "derailleur vs hub". The first page that popped was, quite surprisingly, stackexchange. By navigating to the site, I was immediately amused by the new design with unicorns and stuff o.O. So I pressed the hyperlink on the left side of the screen Learn more about upcoming changes to learn what's all this about. Upon reading the "Announcing the Stack Exchange Time Machine", I got additionally curious, and clicked onto the hyperlink It all started back in 2008 with a site named after a class of bug. Which navigated to a original 2008 post of the founder of stackexchange. As I'm a curious guy i read it. At the middle of the text he mentions the word "permalink".
OK, so I'm employed as a programmer/developer, but i became such only recently. Mind that I'm not one of those guys that have coded 24/7 since childhood and whose life's mission was to be nothing else but hardcore programmer nerd.
Having said that, I intuitively understand what permalink means, but nevertheless just decided to check the termin in wikipedia - that is, to dive a little deeper and check the "scientific description", you know. In the end, i'm supposed to be an IT guy, lol. I often do this when i read/research stuff - jumping from one topic to another. It's always a crazy navigational chain, if you know what i mean - you start with researching about "turmeric", go through wikipediaing "DNA", then somehow find yourself reading about "Global Warming of 1.5 degrees" and finish up reading about Hitler and history. It's general curiosity and I reckon that most folks in the world do this while in front of the computer, and not playing games or watching movies.

So, back to the story. In the first paragraph of the "permalink" wiki there is a reference to the URL Shortening termin - bit.ly stuff, yeah. So I read through it diagonally and finally, in the "Privacy and security" section I stumbled upon the word "rickroll".
Now I know the -rickroll command in DotA that exists for like 10 years, but never put any thought into it and never cared what's its meaning. As now i got curious, went to the wiki page, and finally learned about Rick Astley and some 4chan pranks in 2008 :). I do know this song since childhood and 80s music is one of my favs, but never realized the connection with the command, lol, even though it quotes lyrics from the song.
And I swear by all the old gods and the new, at that point yesterday, while suddenly reminiscing about the aforementioned phenomenon, I humorously told to myself: "Now I won't be surprised if i directly hear about rickroll in the immediate future :-)". Please note that I had absolutely no idea it's april fool's day - this was absolutely out of my system. I never cared about this day (nor for any national/holy/public day, to be honest). It's just a coincidence. I could go on with my day w/o noticing this if I didn't join to twrpg.com and if I didn't see a post from Ashmedai saying "love you all". I don't follow anymore what's happening in twrpg world, it's just part of my daily routine. Now I told to myself - prob he's quitting, let me quickly check his post, out of respect and nostalgy about the old times, right.

So here it is - I went from researching bicycles to learning about rickroll. And I directly got rickrolled immediately after :). This fucking phenomenon never ceases to amaze me.
Last edited by Moldrin on Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlyingCow
Corruptor Rectus

Post by FlyingCow » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:21 am

Baader-Meinhof effect is a pretty fun cognitive bias, most people catch themselves experiencing it.

Moldrin
Dragon Turtle

Post by Moldrin » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:35 pm

Cow, wow!; your research capabilities and knowledge horizons are far superior and rich, my friend. You know you're a capable & smart young guy, i've praised you on numerous occasions. I do hope you get what you deserve, dude.
Thank you very much for pointing out that to me. Now it is official - not just speculation :D i'm psychologically & mentally unwell. :D cheers
Greetings and kind regards, Mold.

Ashmedai
Lord of Everfrost

Post by Ashmedai » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:03 pm

Don't worry Moldrin, still love you~ And yeah, I had a period of a break from games in general when stuff from school hit me like a truck. I also miss the old days and sometimes the nostalgia hits me quite hard in the gut :lol:

Also all of us are psychologically & mentally unwell or using the old term, insane, but some have it in higher or smaller ''doses''
R.I.P. Atalanta Skin

#ShittingLuckyCharms